Fri Oct 20 21:32:11 CAT 2017

Radio presenter sues SABC over termination of contract

2017-07-31 14:36:19.0 | Ngwako Malatji |

Former Metro FM presenter Bambo Johnson has dragged the SABC to court for unfair dismissal.

Johnson, who presented a show between midnight and 3am, is demanding that the SABC compensate him about R250000 plus interest for unlawfully terminating his contract with the station.

In court papers filed at the South Gauteng High Court in Joburg last year, Johnson, real name Masindi Samuel Muvhango, states that he signed a contract with the SABC on or about March 31 2009 to present a graveyard show on South Africa's biggest commercial radio station until March 2011.

He said the SABC was supposed to have given him a month's notice should his show be cancelled or discontinued for whatever reason but it failed to do so.

Johnson said to his shock and chagrin, the public broadcaster "unlawfully" terminated his contract on March 5 2010, resulting in his financial loss.

"As a result of the defendant's unlawful cancellation of the contract, the plaintiff suffered damages for loss of income for the period 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2011 in the sum of R240440," read the papers filed by his lawyer Theo Mapheto.

Justifying the amount, Mapheto said Johnson earned R920 for his three-hour shift and should have been paid R240130 for the 261 days remaining in his contract.

The case will be heard on Tuesday.

Mapheto confirmed they were taking the SABC to court but declined to comment, citing the sub judice rule.

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said: "The matter is before court therefore I cannot comment or say anything about it. We would communicate accordingly once the matter has been finalised."

ngwakom@sundayworld.co.za

Your Subscription

The Sunday World Network